Mangalore- The name itself resonates very often in my heart. I MAKE-IT-HAPPPEN many of my dreams while living in this beautiful small city. This city made a traveller out of a tourist in me. I evolved as a traveler often making many mistakes along this wonderful journey called life.
Mangalore is one of the ideal base destinations. With mangalore as base you can cover most parts of the western ghats with ease. Mangalore in well connected to many tourist circuits. Mangalore is closer to madikeri / coorg. Mangalore itself is perched on hill top and near beach which makes it an ideal place to live. The city is easy to commute locally. Be it theatres,malls, beaches, bus stand, railway station etc.,. Even the airport is located within twenty kilometres from the heart of the city and you can reach with little traffic along the way. It rains for four to six months in a year and water does not stagnate like in other Indian cities.
Most People belonging to the city speak a number of languages. The native language is Tulu language. Also Kannada, beary, Konkani, are also spoken here. People are also conversant in English and Hindi. Some of them speak up to nine languages.
WHERE TO GO?
1. Madikeri can be reached within three hours by car and four hours by bus.
2. Mysore can be reached in 6.5 hours by bus.
3. Bangalore can be reached in 8 hours by bus as well as train.
4. Goa can be reached in 6 hours by train and 12 hours by bus. It is one of the most scenic routes I have seen.
5. You can reach anywhere in Kerala within an overnight journey. Numerous trains and buses ply from here.
6. Bekal fort in kerala is within 1 hour by train.
7. Jog falls can be reached within 6 hours by car.
8. Belur, Halebid, and shravanabelagola is within 4 hours by cab/bus.
9. Chikmagalur, kudremukh are beautiful offbeat choices for trekking and family picnic and also doubles as hill station.
10. The world famous sunset point Agumbe is 4 hours ride away.
WHERE TO STAY?
There are plenty of options. You can stay in a hotel room at the price of a guest house in other cities. You can stay in costly hotels which offers ultra modern comforts.
My choices for stay
1. Ocean pearl hotel
2. Deepa comforts
3. Hotel Nalappad – situated in the highest point in mangalore.
WHERE TO DINE?
You are spoilt for choices here.
1. Pabbas ice cream parlour (don’t miss this place if you are in mangalore even for a few hours)
2. Sizzling raunch
3. The chutney
Living in mangalore itself is like celebrating life itself. The festival celebrations here are amazing. Some of the festivals you should not miss to see here
1. Dussera. The yaksha gana brings out the best festive mood in you.
2. Annual Kite festival at panambur beach
And I yearn to live in Mangalore again some time.